October 21, 2005

Neil explains

Creative legend Neil French resigned from WPP Group this week, following comments he made at a public address in Toronto that women with families aren't as equipped as men to succeed in the advertising business.

What do you make of how the Toronto remarks have been interpreted?
It's death by blog, isn't it? You had to be there. I laugh a lot on stage and I say outrageous things, but people come to be entertained. They paid [$125] to sit there. If they wanted Martin Luther King, they went to the wrong gig. I'm well-known for being as outrageous as I can to make the point that I want to make. Advertising is hyperbole and I exercise hyperbole as much as I can, but I laugh when I'm doing it. You can't storyboard a smile, as somebody said.


[Source: Advertising Age | Ad-Rag]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neil, let them hate as long as their fear.

Anonymous said...

I've seen him entertaining an audience with his "bull-fight" collage video whilst he was getting all boozed. He's a politically incorrect character, he knows that and everybody knows it. So Gsus why this prudish recation? Especially from an industry like adverising!?